A new report reveals one in four UK hospitality bosses believe that closing their business in the next year is a possibility whilst the majority may cut staff hours or make redundancies due to rising energy costs.
The report by Censuswide and eEnergy also found that 94 percent of businesses said that they waste more than a fifth of their energy each year. The effects of rising energy bills are also why three quarters of hospitality operators are weighing up the option of reducing opening hours as a result.
To minimise the impacts, many operators are implementing SaaS solutions like Logit to help them monitor and achieve their aggressive energy and water usage reduction goals.
Logit automates workflows including energy checks and recordkeeping to help staff and management put energy monitoring at the core of your daily operations. By integrating energy efficiency into your operations programme, you can make big reductions in energy use and costs.
Logit ensures your teams perform all the necessary operational checks, inspections and scheduled maintenance tasks so that you don’t end up paying more than you need to. Here are a few examples of how Logit’s digital solution helps operators optimise energy consumption and costs.
- Conduct nightly audits to find out what’s on afterhours that shouldn’t be.
- Improve operations practices by regularly checking and maintaining equipment to ensure that it’s functioning efficiently.
- Regularly schedule energy audits to identify areas within the facility that have become inefficient and bring them back to peak performance. Energy audits may save you up to 30% of your total utility bills.
- Daily checks for water leaks of toilets, faucets and sinks. A dripping hot water faucet can leak hundreds of gallons per year.
- Check areas in front of vents are clear of furniture and paper. As much as 25 percent more energy is required to distribute air if your vents are blocked.
- Nightly checks to activate sleep settings on all printers, copiers, fax machines, scanners and multifunction devises so that they automatically enter a low-powered sleep mode when inactive.
Heating and Cooling
- Temperature checks across the facility to ensure settings are within optimal range throughout the day.
- Schedule monthly cleaning and replacement of filters. Dirty filters cost more to use, overwork the equipment and result in lower indoor air quality.
- Regularly clean evaporator and condenser coils as dirty coils inhibit heat transfer and use more energy.
- Perform monthly maintenance of heating and cooling equipment to guarantee efficient operation all year long.
- Schedule checks to turn off lights when not in use or when natural daylight is sufficient. This can reduce lighting expenses by 10 to 40 percent.
- Regularly check light levels against standards from the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) to see if you have areas that are over- or under-lit.
- Scheduled maintenance inspections can save your business 15 to 30 percent in lighting costs.
Food Service Equipment
- Schedule cleaning of refrigerator coils twice a year. Inspect and replace door gaskets as required.
- Service large and walk-in refrigeration systems at least annually. This includes cleaning, refrigerant top off, lubrication of moving parts, and adjustment of belts. It also helps ensure efficient operation and longer equipment life.
- Check regularly for any cracks or areas where air may be escaping. Seal any leaks or replace previously sealed areas that have worn down to prevent further energy loss.
- Have staff clean equipment on a regular basis to ensure peak performance and efficiency.
- Scheduling regular maintenance service enables technicians to identify areas where energy is being wasted and minimise costly repair expenses.
Employee & Guest Engagement
- Educate teams with access to training manuals, SOPs and energy tips/guides.
- Promote teamwork by changing habits and behaviours that make a big impact on energy conservation and sustainability.
- QR codes enable guests and employees to share their suggestions. Managers can quickly respond to comments and act on recommendations when feasible.
- Give incentives and recognition for the best energy-saving ideas or to energy champions!
Analysis and Reporting
- Benchmark energy usage and costs across sites.
- Access historical energy data to identify trends and improvement opportunities.
- Share energy efficiency performance to stakeholders. Providing transparency of data can inspire your teams to contribute to continued savings.
Go digital and start saving…
Logit’s digital checks and monitoring system is quick to set up and easy to use. Your team members will be prompted throughout the day whenever they need to perform energy-related activities. Managers can track progress in real-time and receive instant notifications if there is an issue that needs attention.
Let us show you how Logit can help your organisation improve energy efficiencies and reduce energy costs across all your sites.
To get started, watch the mini-demo now.